Shockwave therapy is a type of treatment that uses sound waves to help heal damaged tissue. The sound waves can help improve blood flow and reduce inflammation, which can speed up the healing process. Shockwave therapy is used to treat a range of injuries. For instance, shockwave therapy is a non-invasive, FDA-cleared treatment for heel pain and plantar fasciitis. It is also shown to be effective in treating tendonitis.
Shockwaves are sound waves that stimulate healing by increasing blood flow and breaking down scar tissue. The shockwaves are generated by a machine and delivered to the affected area through a handheld device. Treatment typically takes 3-5 minutes per session and is usually administered 2-3 times per week for 4-6 weeks, depending on the recommendation of the physician.
Let’s talk about the benefits of shockwave therapy for soft tissue injuries.
Benefits of Shockwave Therapy
- Shockwave therapy can help to break down and dissolve calcified tissue, which can build up in the foot and cause pain. The dissolved calcified tissue will be cleared away by the lymphatic system.
- Shockwave therapy can stimulate blood flow and promote healing by helping to deliver nutrients and oxygen to the affected area. In addition, it stimulates the creation of new blood vessels, which also boosts blood flow. All in all, both are essential in creating the perfect environment for healing to take place.
- Shockwave therapy can help reduce inflammation, swelling, and pain by decreasing the release of inflammatory mediators from cells in the treated area. The sound waves cause tiny vibrations in the tissue, which help to break up the inflammatory cells and promote healing.
- Shockwave therapy has been shown to promote new collagen production, which can lead to stronger tissues and faster healing times. Collagen is the key protein in the healing of connective tissue. It is responsible for providing strength and support to injured tissues as they heal. When an injury occurs, collagen production increases to repair and replace damaged tissue. This process is essential for proper healing and helps to prevent further damage.
- Finally, shockwave therapy is completely non-invasive and relatively safe when compared with other treatment options, such as surgery or injections, as even minimally invasive techniques carry the risk of complications. The risks associated with this treatment are minimal and most often temporary. As such, it is recommended for a lot of patients, especially those who don’t want to deal with side effects or risks as a result of treatment.
If you have a foot or ankle issue, you may be a good candidate for shockwave therapy. To get the best results, trust only a qualified medical professional to administer this treatment.
Shockwave Therapy in San Antonio, Boerne, Hondo, Floresville, Kenedy, Uvalde, and Live Oak, TX
The podiatrists at The Podiatry Group of South Texas offer shockwave therapy as an in-office procedure to the right candidates. Our doctors use this in the treatment of plantar fasciitis and tendonitis, with great results. We make it easy for our patients to receive prompt treatment for their podiatric issues and always treat them with great respect and compassion.